The Suryakiran Aerobatic Team:
The Suryakiran Aerobatic Team (SKAT) will perform at an airshow at the Galle Face in Colombo from March 3 to 5 as part of the 70th-anniversary celebrations of the Sri Lankan Air Force (SLAF).
- This will be the first performance for the SKAT team outside India since it was resurrected in 2015 with the Hawk advanced jet trainers.
- Earlier, the SKAT team had toured Sri Lanka during the 50th anniversary of the SLAF in 2001.
- The SKAT team, also known as 52 Squadron or The Sharks, is based in Bidar.
- The team was formed in 1996 with Kiran Mk-II aircraft and had enthralled spectators across the country till 2011.
- It was revived in 2015 with Hawk trainers initially with four aircraft and grew to the nine-aircraft formation.
- Since its inception, the SKAT team has carried out over 600 displays all around the country.
- It has also represented India across southeast Asia including China.