Threads App : Meta
Meta, formerly known as Facebook, has recently developed a new app called Threads to compete with Twitter.
- The launch of the app in the European Union (EU) has been postponed due to regulatory concerns.
- Meta’s Threads app, designed to provide a platform for discussions and community engagement.
- It is currently not being launched in the EU.
- The company’s decision stems from regulatory concerns regarding compliance with the DMA, a framework introduced to address the dominance of large digital platforms and ensure fair competition within the digital market.
- The DMA is a regulatory initiative that aims to regulate the behavior of “gatekeeper” platforms, which possess substantial market power.
- It establishes stringent regulations for major internet companies operating in Europe, including Meta.
- One key regulation prohibits platforms from sharing data across different services, ensuring fair competition and data privacy.
- The company’s attempt to leverage data from WhatsApp to strengthen Instagram and Facebook, which violated EU rules, raised data privacy concerns