Tibetan Brown Bear : Recently Sighted
A rare and elusive bear, the Tibetan brown bear, has been recently sighted in Sikkim, making it the first confirmed record of the animal being sighted in India.
- The Tibetan brown bear, also known as the Tibetan blue bear, is one of the rarest subspecies of bears in the world and is rarely sighted in the wild.
- Scientific Name: Ursus arctos pruinosus
- It inhabits alpine forests, meadows, and steppes, close to the tree line.
- This rare bear is very different from the more commonly found Himalayan black bear in terms of its appearance, habitat, and behaviour.
- Conservation Status:
- IUCN Red List: Least Concern
- CITES: Appendix I
- Wildlife Protection Act of 1972: Schedule II