The Ministry of Civil Aviation in India has launched the 5th round of the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) – Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN) to improve connectivity in remote and regional areas of the country.
- UDAN Scheme was launched as a Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) under the Ministry of Civil Aviation in 2016, to provide affordable, economically viable and profitable air travel on regional routes to the common man even in small towns.
- It envisages providing connectivity to un-served and underserved airports of the country through the revival of existing airstrips and airports.
- No predetermined routes would be offered.
- Only Network and Individual Route Proposal proposed by airlines will be considered.
- The same route will not be awarded to a single airline more than once, whether in different networks or in the same network.
- Airlines would be required to commence operations within 4 months of the award of the route.
- Earlier this deadline was 6 months