Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed gratitude to UN Institute for Training & Research (UNITAR). UNITAR has commended India’s remarkable progress in reducing premature mortality from Non-Communicable Diseases.
- The United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) is a dedicated training arm of the United Nations system.
- UNITAR provides training and capacity development activities to assist mainly developing countries with special attention to Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Small Island Developing States (SIDS), and other groups and communities who are most vulnerable.
- UNITAR was founded in 1963, following the recommendation of the UN Economic and Social Council to the General Assembly.
- UNITAR Operated as an autonomous body within the United Nations system, UNITAR is headed by an Executive Director.
- The present executive director is Nikhil Seth from India who was appointed in 2015.
- UNITAR is a project-based organization and does not receive any funds from the regular United Nations budget. The institute is financed entirely from voluntary contributions.
- Headquarters are based in Geneva (Switzerland).