Commission for Air Quality Management:
The Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) in NCR and adjoining areas has begun the process of setting up a Decision Support System (DSS) having a web, GIS and multi-model based operational and planning decision support tool.
- This tool will help immensely in capturing the static and dynamic features of the emissions from various sources.
About the Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM):
- The Commission for Air Quality Management was formed by an ordinance in October 2020, the “Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Ordinance 2020”.
- Chairperson: To be chaired by a government official of the rank of Secretary or Chief Secretary.
- It will be a permanent body and will have over 20 members.
- The Commission will be a statutory authority.
- The Commission will supersede bodies such as the central and state pollution control boards of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, UP and Rajasthan.
- It will have the powers to issue directions to these state governments on issues pertaining to air pollution.
Exclusive jurisdiction over the NCR, including areas in Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan, in matters of air pollution, and will be working along with CPCB and ISRO, apart from the respective state governments.