Artificial Intelligence (AI) Based Portal ‘SUPACE’:
The Chief Justice of India (CJI) launched an Artificial Intelligence (AI) based portal ‘SUPACE’ in the judicial system aimed at assisting judges with legal research.
- SUPACE is short for Supreme Court Portal for Assistance in Court’s Efficiency.
- Earlier, the E-Courts Project was conceptualized on the basis of “National Policy and Action Plan for Implementation of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the Indian Judiciary – 2005” submitted by the e-Committee of the Supreme Court.
- It is a tool that collects relevant facts and laws and makes them available to a judge.
- It is not designed to take decisions, but only to process facts and to make them available to judges looking for input for a decision.
- Initially, it will be used on an experimental basis by the judges of Bombay and Delhi High Courts who deal with criminal matters.
- It will produce results customized to the need of the case and the way the judge thinks.
- This will be time-saving. It will help the judiciary and the court in reducing delays and pendency of cases.
- AI will present a more streamlined, cost-effective, and time-bound means to the fundamental right of access to justice.
- It will make the service delivery mechanism transparent and cost-efficient.