The Cochin Port Joint Trade Union Forum has urged the Prime Minister of India to take effective steps to revive the lost glory of Willingdon Island.
- Willingdon Island is among the most beautiful locations in the Kochi area.
- This is a man-made island, named after Lord Willingdon who was a British Viceroy of India.
- It is among the biggest of its kind in India.
- It is a major commercial centre and has some of the best hotels in the city.
- It is also home to the Kochi Naval Base of the Indian Navy, the Central Institute of Fisheries Technology and the Port of Kochi.
- It handles millions of tonnes of freight every year.
- The island is connected to the mainland by the Venduruthy Bridge.