World Environment Day 2023:
World Environment Day is being celebrated across the globe on June 5 every year.
- World Environment Day is observed on the 5th of June every year since 1973 as part of the United Nations Environment Programme to build awareness to save life on planet Earth.
- The event has been led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) since its inception in 1973.
- The theme of this year’s World Environment Day will focus on solutions to plastic pollution under the campaign #BeatPlasticPollution.
- This year’s event is hosted by Côte d’Ivoire in partnership with the Netherlands.
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP):
- It is the leading global authority on the environment.
- Mission is to inspire, inform, and enable nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
- It is driving transformational change by drilling down on the root causes of the triple planetary crisis of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss and pollution.
- Headquarters: Nairobi, Kenya.