World Milk Day:
Every year, the first day of June is observed as World Milk Day.
- On this occasion, the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying announced the launch of the Gopal Ratna Awards and integration of the e-Gopala App with the UMANG platform.
- Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) Mobile App is a unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app launched under the Digital India initiative of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) in 2017.
- It is a unified application that can be used to avail a number of pan India e-government services such as: Filing income tax, Employees Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) services, Aadhar, Pension, ePathshala, e- Land Records, Crop Insurance etc.
- World Milk Day was established by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) in 2001.
- The day is intended to provide an opportunity to bring attention to activities that are connected with the dairy sector.
- FAO is one of the specialized agencies of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
- 2021 Theme:
- The theme will focus on Sustainability in the dairy sector with messages around the environment, nutrition and socio-economics.
- In doing so it will reintroduce dairy farming to the world.