BRICS Foreign Ministers Meeting:
BRICS foreign ministers meeting held virtually on June 1, 2021.
- During the minister’s meet, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar highlighted significant principles which were guiding BRICS.
- He also referred to international law and the UN Charter which recognizes sovereign equality of all states and respects territorial integrity.
- According to him, desired change can be achieved only by conducting policies in line with these principles.
- The BRICS meeting was hosted by India in its capacity as chair of BRICS.
- It was attended by Foreign Minister of Russia, Sergey Lavrov; Foreign Minister of China, Wang Yi; Minister of International Relations of South Africa, Grace Naledi Mandisa Pandor; and Foreign Minister of Brazil, Carlos Alberto Franco.
- BRICS foreign ministers, for the first time, have agreed on the common goal of “reforming the multilateral system”.
- They also agreed, such reform should cover all key multilateral institutions, including-
- UN and its principal organs such as the UN general assembly, UN Security Council, etc.
- International financial architecture such as IMF & World Bank
- A multilateral trading system such as WTO & UNCTAD and
- Global health governance system along with WHO.
- BRICS ministers agreed to bring in new life on discussions regarding reform of UN Security Council.