World No Tobacco Day:
31st May is observed as ‘World No Tobacco Day’ every year to spread awareness around the deadly effects of tobacco consumption.
- The Member States of the World Health Organization created World No Tobacco Day in 1987 to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes.
- In 1988, Resolution WHA 42.19 was passed, calling for the celebration of World No Tobacco Day, every year on 31 May.
- The theme of World No Tobacco Day 2022 is “Protect The Environment”.
- As per WHO, “The harmful impact of the tobacco industry on the environment is vast and growing, adding unnecessary pressure to our planet’s already scarce resources and fragile ecosystems.”
- Every year, the WHO honours governments, organisations and individuals for their efforts and contributions to curbing tobacco use.
- This year, the WHO has selected Jharkhand for the World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) Award-2022.