World Water Day 2022 : Theme
On 22nd March, World Water Day is observed annually. This day is observed to raise awareness regarding the importance of water and its conservation.
- This day focuses to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goal 6 (SDG 6) of the United Nations. SDG 6 looks to ensure sanitation and safe water for all across the globe by 2030.
- This day acts as a reminder for us to take precautionary steps to tackle water crisis across the globe.
- The theme of World Water Day 2022: “Groundwater, making the invisible visible” is the theme for this year’s World Water Day.
- The programs that have been organized for this day will focus on groundwater importance. Many organizations, as well as individuals, are being called upon to create awareness regarding this resource which is continuously depleting.
- In 1992, during the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development held in Rio de Janeiro, the idea to observe this day was first put forward.
- The UN General Assembly, in 1992, adopted a resolution declaring 22nd March as World Day for Water.
- The observation of this day began in 1993.