World Wildlife Day 2023 : 3rd March
World Wildlife Day is celebrated every year on March 3 to raise awareness about the importance of protecting the world’s flora and fauna.
- World Wildlife Day is a United Nations International day to celebrate all the world’s wild animals and plants and the contribution that they make to our lives and the health of the planet.
- It is celebrated every year on March 3.
- This date was chosen as it is the birthday of CITES, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, signed in 1973.
- The theme of World Wildlife Day 2023 is ‘Partnerships for Wildlife Conservation’.
- CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) is an international agreement between governments.
- Aim is To ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten the survival of the species.
- It was drafted as a result of a resolution adopted in 1963 at a meeting of members of IUCN (The World Conservation Union).
- It entered into force in July 1975.