Yamunotsav : NMCG
The Yamunotsav was organized by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations. This program was organized in collaboration with a group of NGOs.
- This event was organized at ASITA East River Front, ITO Bridge, New Delhi.
- This event was organized to celebrate River Yamuna’s glory and a pledge to keep it clean was announced.
- In this event the people were urged to join hands for cleaning the River Yamuna which is River Ganga’s most important and biggest tributary.
- The Namami Gange Programme which focuses on the Ganga Basin’s main stem is yielding positive results.
- The current target is the cleaning of the Yamuna River and ensuring that the 3 big sewage treatment plants (STP) that are being constructed are finished by December 2022.
- This will prevent all dirty water from the drains from falling into the River Yamuna.
- The funding of the sewerage infrastructure construction for River Yamuna amounts to Rs. 2300 crore is being funded by the NMCG.