Yuan Wang 5:
China’s satellite tracking vessel Yuan Wang 5 has arrived at Sri Lanka’s southern Hambantota Port, despite India and the U.S. voicing concern with Colombo over the military ship’s visit.
- Yuan Wang 5 is a third-generation vessel of the Yuan Wang series that entered service in 2007.
- This series of ships include “space tracking ships involved in supporting the manned space programme”.
- It has the ability to track satellites and intercontinental missiles.
- Hambantota International Port Group is a Public Private Partnership and a Strategic Development Project between the Government of Sri Lanka and China Merchants Port Holdings (CMPort).
- This port was given to China by Sri Lanka on a 99-year lease after Sri Lanka failed to repay Chinese loans.
- It is seen as a case of Chinese “debt trap” Diplomacy.