14 Minor Forest Produce Items Included Under MSP Scheme:
- This new mechanism will help to provide remunerative and fair prices to tribal gatherers of forest produces.
- The items which have been included in the scheme include- Tasar Cocoon, bamboo shoot, elephant apple dry, wild dry mushroom and malkangani seed.
Minimum Support Price (MSP)
- It is an agricultural product price which is set by the Government of India to purchase directly from the farmer.
- MSP is not enforceable by law.
- This MSP rate is decided to safeguard the farmer to a minimum profit for the harvest in case the open market has lesser price than the cost incurred.
- Price is set for 23 commodities twice a year.
- It is set on the recommendations of the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP) since 2009.
- The Minimum Support Price was announced for the first time in the year 1966-67 for wheat.
- The MSP was decided in the light of Green Revolution and extended harvest in order to save the farmers from depleting profits.
Minor Forest Produce (MFP):
- It includes all non-timber forest produce of plant origin. It also includes bamboo, fodder, leaves, canes, waxes dyes, gums, resins and many forms of food like nuts, honey wild fruits, lac, tusser etc.
- MFP It provides both subsistence and cash income for people living in or near the forests.
MFP through MSP scheme
- It is a centrally sponsored scheme.
- The scheme ensures that the tribal population gets the remunerative price for the MFP and seeks to provide them alternative employment avenues.
- The mechanism for the marketing of minor forest produce through minimum support price and development of value chain for MFP’ scheme is done by the State designated agencies.
- To assure the market price, the services of market correspondents are availed by the designated agencies.