57th Jnanpith Award:Damodar Mauzo
Renowned Konkani writer Damodar Mauzo has been conferred with 57th Jnanpith Award for the year 2022. Noted Assamese poet Nilmani Phookan has bagged 56th Jnanpith award for the year 2021.
- Mauzo is second Konkani writer to receive the highest literary award, earlier being given to Writer Ravindra Kelekar in 2006.
- Mauzo is short story writer, novelist and screenplay writer. His several short stories are translated into other languages and have appeared in various magazines. Stories of Mauzo depict the struggle of poor people, their agonies and sorrows.
- His novel Karmelin had bagged Sahitya Akademi award in 1983.
- Jnanpith Award is given by Bharatiya Jnanpith, a literary and research organization based in Delhi.
- It is given annually to an author for their “outstanding contribution towards literature”.
- It is bestowed only on Indian writers writing in Indian languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution of India and English.
- There are no posthumous conferral.
- Also only works published during the preceding twenty years is considered for the award.
- The award consists of cash prize is ₹11 lakh and a Bronze replica of Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of knowledge and wisdom.