76th Session Of WHO Regional Committee For South-East Asia:
Investment in Primary Health Care (PHC) as the most inclusive, equitable and cost-effective way to achieve Universal Health Coverage was emphasized during the Ministerial Roundtable Conference at the 76th session of WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia in New Delhi.
- Delhi Declaration on strengthening primary health care as a key element towards achieving universal health coverage was signed at the meeting.
- Reaffirming the vision of the Government of India of “Antyodaya”, it was stated that India’s strong health system relies on a “whole of government” and “whole of society” approach with the goal of improving essential health services and health systems to pre-pandemic levels.
- Importance of Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centres (AB-HWCs) was emphasized which are transforming the delivery of comprehensive primary health care services.
- Saima Wazed (from Bangladesh) was elected as the Regional Director of the World Health Organization’s South-East Asia region during the 76th session of the WHO Regional Committee for Southeast Asia.
- The Regional Committee for South-East Asia is WHO’s governing body in the Region.