8th India International Silk Fair:
The Textiles Minister of India, Smriti Irani, inaugurated the 8th India International Silk Fair on the Virtual Portal.
- This fair is the biggest silk fair in India.
- The fair is being held under one roof of the virtual platform of Indian Silk Export Promotion Council.
- The fair is a five days long event.
- More than 200 overseas buyers have already registered.
- Further, around 200 overseas representatives in India will interact with more than 100 renowned and big Indian companies who are engaged in manufacturing and trading the silk and silk blended products.
Silk in India:
- Silk is a luxury good in India. Around 97% of the raw mulberry silk is produced in five states namely, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, and Gujarat.
- Mysore and North Bangalore will also become the site of a US$20 million Silk City.
- In Tamil Nadu, mulberry silk cultivation is concentrated in Salem, Erode and Dharmapuri districts.
- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh and Gobichettipalayam in Tamil Nadu were some of the first locations to establish the automated silk reeling units.
- India is the 2nd largest producer of Silk after China.
- India is also the largest consumer of silk across the world.
- India is also the only country across the world that produces all the four major varieties of silk – Mulberry, Eri, Tassar, and Muga.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking