All India Radio : Known As Akashvani
The Centre, ordered that public broadcaster, previously known as All India Radio (AIR), be exclusively referred to as Akashvani in all broadcasts and programmes.
- All India Radio (AIR) is the radio vertical of Prasar Bharati.
- It’s motto is ‘Bahujan Hitaya : Bahujan Sukhaya’.
- It is one of the largest broadcasting organisations in the world in terms of the number of languages of broadcast and the spectrum of socioeconomic and cultural diversity.
- AIR’s home service comprises 470 Broadcasting centres located across the country, covering nearly 92% of the country’s area and 99.19 % of the total population.
- AIR originates programming in 23 languages and 179 dialects.