Alycaeus himalayae : New Snail Species
A new snail species named Alycaeus himalayae was recently discovered from a cave in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Alycaeus himalayae is a new snail species belonging to the genus Alycaeus.
- Alycaeus is a genus of small land snails.
- The genus is the first to be reported in India, as this genus is restricted to Southeast Asia and not known in the Indian region.
- This new species differs from all other Himalayan alycaeid species due to its yellowish, conical shell.
- The most similar shell in the vicinity is Stomacosmethis spratti from the Shan States, Myanmar.
- It differs from all other Alycaeus species by the characteristic trumpet-like projection on the outer side of the operculum.
- It is, so far, the only Alycaeus species inhabiting the Himalayas.
- All other known Alycaeus species are reported from Laos, Vietnam, southern Thailand, and Peninsular Malaysia.