Cnemaspis Rashidi : A New Species Of Gecko
A new species of gecko has been discovered in the Western Ghats near Rajapalayam in Tamil Nadu.
- Cnemaspis Rashidi is a new species of gecko.
- So far, 93 species of gecko have been documented, and this is the 94th species.
- The new species is also called Rashid’s dwarf gecko, as it is the smallest among the genus.
- It is approximately two inches long from its snout to the
- It was found at an altitude of 1,245 metres at the Kottamalai estate near Rajapalayam.
- It displayed a combination of beautiful colour patterns of yellow, white and black adorning its back, making it stand out among its gecko relatives.
- It is endemic to the Western Ghats.
- Western Ghats is also called Sahyadri, north–south-running range of mountains in western India.
- It forms the crest of the western edge of the Deccan plateauparallel to the Malabar Coast of the Arabian Sea.