Ammonia Gas Leak From An Underwater Supply Pipeline : Chennai
An ammonia gas leak from an underwater supply pipeline to an industrial unit in Chennai, caused hundreds of residents to complain of difficulty in breathing and burning of eyes and faces.
- The leak originated from the Coromandel International Limited fertiliser manufacturing facility, which receives ammonia shipments from Iran or Saudi Arabia.
- Ammonia is a colourless, pungent gas with the chemical formula NH3. It’s made up of hydrogen and nitrogen.
- In its aqueous form, it’s called ammonium hydroxide.
- Ammonia is a natural byproduct and respiratory stimulant.
- It’s produced naturally in the human body and in nature, including in water, soil, and air. In human health, ammonia and the ammonium ion are important components of metabolic processes.
- In its concentrated form, ammonia is dangerous and caustic.