The Union Cabinet has approved the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation 2.0 (AMRUT 2.0) till 2025-26.
- This is a step towards Aatma Nirbhar Bharat intending to make the cities ‘water secure and self-sustainable’ through circular economy of water.
- Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) was launched to facilitate ease of living to citizens in 500 cities by providing tap connections and sewer connections.
- So far, 1.1 crore household tap connections and 85 lakh sewer/septage connections have been provided
- 100% coverage of water supply to all households in around 4,700 urban local bodies by providing about 68 crore tap connections.
- 100% coverage of sewerage and septage in 500 AMRUT cities by providing around 64 crore sewers/ septage connections.
- Adopt the principles of Circular Economy (Generating wealth from waste using 3Rs)
- Promote conservation and rejuvenation of surface and groundwater bodies.
- Data led governance in water management
- Technology Sub-Mission to leverage latest global technologies and skills.
- ‘Pey Jal Survekshan’: To promote competition among cities.