Global Hunger Index 2021:
Global Hunger Index 2021 has been released.
Performance of India:
- India has slipped seven places to rank 101 among 116 countries. The level of hunger in India was ‘serious’ according to the report.
It ranked fourth among South Asian countries.
- Only 15 other countries ranked below India on the Index.
- Bangladesh (76), Nepal (76) and Pakistan (92) have fared much better than India on the index.
- In 2020, India ranked at 94 among 107 countries on the Index.
- India’s score on the Index in the recent two decades has declined by 10 points.
- Globally, India ranked among the worst in ‘child wasting’ or ‘weight for height’. Its performance was worse than Djibouti and Somalia.
The Global Hunger Index (GHI) is published annually as part of a partnership between Concern Worldwide, Ireland’s largest aid and humanitarian agency and Welthungerhilfe.
- The first GHI report was published in 2006.
- The GHI is intended to be “a tool designed to comprehensively measure and track hunger at global, regional, and national levels”.