Armado : Appearance At The Republic Day
The new Mahindra Armado recently made its first appearance at the Republic Day Parade.
- Armado is India’s first Armoured Light Specialist Vehicle (ALSV).
- It is a fully indigenous vehicle designed and built by the Mahindra Defence Systems (MDS) for the Indian armed forces.
- It can be used in counter-terrorist and special forces operations. It can also be used by quick reaction teams, as a reconnaissance vehicle and for patrolling the borders.
- It has a seating capacity of six passengers, including the driver, and can be configured to seat up to eight.
- Above the standard 1,000 kg load capacity, the ASLV can carry another 400 kg.
- It gets ballistic protection up to the B7 level and STANAG level-2. This means that its armour offers protection against armour-piercing rifles.
- Also, the ASLV gets protection on all sides(front, side and rear) from ballistics and explosives.
- Powering the 4-wheeler is a 3.2-litre multi-fuel diesel engine that generates 216 hp of maximum power.
- Armado takes just 12 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 kmph, and runs at a speed of more than 120 kmph.
- It also gets a self-cleaning-type exhaust scavenging and air filtration system for extreme dusty climate, like deserts.