Beti Bachao Beti Padhao:
Central government announced the inclusion of the skilling of girls in non-traditional livelihood (NTL) options in the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ scheme.
- Non-Traditional livelihood: It includes sectors and jobs where the participation of women is and has historically been conventionally low or absent.
- Increasing the enrolment of girls in secondary education, particularly in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) subjects.
- Non-traditional vocations: Girls will be given skill training in non-traditional vocations, making them torchbearers of a women-led Aatmanirbhar Bharat (self-reliant India).
New aims in the scheme:
- Secondary education: Ensuring a 1% increment in enrolment at the secondary level
- Skilling: girls and women every year
- Raising awareness: about safe menstrual hygiene
- Child marriage: Promulgating elimination of child marriages