World University Rankings 2023:
The Times Higher Education (THE) rankings 2023 were released.
- Earlier, QS World University Ranking 2023 was released.
Highlights of the Ranking:
- The parameters based on which the institutes are ranked are teaching (30%), research (30%), citations (30%), international outlook (7.5%), and industry outcome (2.5%). In teaching and research, 15% weightage each is based on a reputational survey.
Global Top Performer:
- The University of Oxford has emerged as the best institute among 1,799 universities from 104 countries.
- Rankings: India is the sixth most represented country in the 2023 rankings with 75 ranked universities.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is at the top position among Indian institutes, for its performance score for teaching and research.
- Globally, the IISc is placed in the 251-300 band.
- IISc was the top-ranking Indian Institute in the 2022 rankings as well.
- The second position among Indian institutions has been taken by Himachal Pradesh based Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences (351-400 overall), which made its debut in the rankings.
- IIT Ropar which was the second highest ranking Indian institute in 2022 rankings, slipped to 6th position.
- The third position is backed by Tamil Nadu’s Algappa University, a public institution.
Times Higher Education:
- THE, formerly known as The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES), is a magazine reporting specifically on news and issues related to higher education.
- The Times Higher Education World University Rankings include 1,799 universities across 104 countries and regions, making them the largest and most diverse university rankings to date.