Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC):
Union Cabinet approves merger of Central Railside Warehouse Company Limited (CRWC) with Central Warehousing Corporation (CWC).
- CWC is a Mini-Ratna Category-I CPSE.
- It is a statutory body which was established under ‘The Warehousing Corporations Act, 1962.
- It is a public warehouse operator established by the Government of India in 1957 for the purpose of warehousing of agriculture produce and certain other commodities notified by the Central Government and for matters connected there with.
- Headquarters: New Delhi.
Central Railside Warehouse Company Ltd.(CRWC):
- CWC formed a separate subsidiary company named ‘Central Railside Warehouse Company Ltd.’ (CRWC) in 2007 to develop Railside Warehousing Complexes (RWCs) on land leased from Railways.
- CRWC is a Mini-Ratna Category-II Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE) incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956.
- CRWC developed specialization, expertise and goodwill in development and operation of RWCs but due to shortage of capital and also due to some of the restrictive clauses in its MoU with Ministry of Railways, its pace of growth was not as expected.
- A separate Division with the name ‘RWC Division’ will be created by CWC for handling operations and marketing of RWCs.