Chabahar Day Conference:
Union Shipping Minister Sarbanand Sonowal inaugurated the Chabahar Day conference in Mumbai.
- Dignitaries from Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Afghanistan were present on the occasion.
- In May 2016, India and Iran signed a bilateral agreement in which India would refurbish one of the berths at Shahid Beheshti port, and reconstruct a 600 meter long container handling facility at the port.
- In October 2017, India’s first shipment of wheat to Afghanistan was sent through the Chabahar Port.
- Chabahar Port is a seaport in Chabahar located in southeastern Iran, on the Gulf of Oman.
- It serves as Iran’s only oceanic port, and consists of two separate ports named Shahid Kalantari and Shahid Beheshti, each of which has five berths.
- The Chabahar port is a key pillar of India’s Indo-Pacific vision to connect with Eurasia with Indian Ocean Region.
- The port will also be part of the International North South Transport Corridor network connecting India.
- Iran has given special incentives to increase trade cooperation activities between India and Iran through Chabahar port.