Civil Services Day:
Every year, 21st April is celebrated as Civil Services Day by the Government of India.
- It is celebrated as an occasion for the civil servants to rededicate themselves to the causes of citizens and renew their commitments to public service and excellence in work.
- The date is chosen to commemorate the day when the first Home Minister of Independent India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel addressed the probationers of Administrative Services Officers in 1947 at Metcalf House, Delhi.
- He referred to civil servants as the ‘Steel Frame of India’.
- The first function on civil services day was held in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi in 2006.
- On this day, the Prime Minister’s Awards for Excellence in Public Administration are presented to Districts/Implementing Units for implementation of Priority program and innovation categories.