Fifth Session Of The Codex Committee On Spices And Culinary Herbs (CCSCH):
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) inaugurated the fifth session of the Codex Committee on Spices and Culinary Herbs (CCSCH) established under Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC).
About the Codex Committee on Spices and Culinary Herbs (CCSCH):
- Establishment: It was formed in 2013.
- Terms of Reference:
- To elaborate worldwide standards for spices and culinary herbs in their dried and dehydrated state in whole, ground, and cracked or crushed form.
- To consult, as necessary, with other international organizations in the standards development process to avoid duplication.
- India is the host country and Spices Board India is the Secretariat for organizing the sessions of the committee.
Spices Board (Ministry of Commerce and Industry) is the flagship organization for the development and worldwide promotion of Indian spices.
About the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC):
- It is an intergovernmental body established jointly by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in 1963, within the framework of the Joint Food Standards Programme.
- The Secretariat of the CAC is hosted at FAO headquarters in Rome.
- It was established to protect the health of consumers and ensure fair practices in the food trade.
- It meets in regular sessions once a year alternating between Geneva and Rome.
- Currently, it has 189 Codex Members made up of 188 Member Countries and 1 Member Organization (The European Union).
- India is a member.