Cloud Seeding : Study
IITM Pune demonstrated that cloud seeding can produce rainfall.
- A cloud seeding experiment was carried out in Solapur city, which falls on the leeward side of the Western Ghats.
- Cloud seeding is a kind of weather modification technology to create artificial rainfall.
- The goal of this work is to change the amount of precipitation that falls from the sky or to alter the type that would reach the ground.
- It is a way of changing the amount or type of precipitation that falls from clouds, by dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation.
- Drones are charged into the clouds and cause an electric shock due to which they clump together and cause rainfall.
- Silver iodide, dry ice, and potassium iodide are the most common items used to initiate the cloud-seeding process.
- There are three cloud seeding methods: static, dynamic and hygroscopic.
- Static cloud seeding: involves spreading a chemical like silver iodide into clouds.
- Dynamic cloud seeding: aims to boost vertical air currents, which encourages more water to pass through the clouds, translating into more rain.
- Hygroscopic cloud seeding: disperses salts through flares or explosives in the lower portions of clouds
- Cloud seeding can help to produce more precipitation. (Cloudbursts)
- It can make the land more suitable for living.
- It helps to regulate weather patterns in specific locations.