Durand Cup : Inaugurated
The union Ministry of Defence inaugurated the 132nd edition of Durand Cup in Kokrajhar.
- Durand Cup is Asia’s oldest and the world’s third oldest football tournament, in which top Indian football clubs from across the country participate.
- The inaugural edition took place in Shimla in 1888, when it started off as an Army Cup, open only to the British Indian Army troops in India.
- The tournament is named after its founder Sir Henry Mortimer Durand.
- It was begun as a football tournament for different departments and regiments of the Armed forces of India and the princely states.
- Since independence, the army’s presence is maintained by the participation of several clubs of different regiments of the Indian Armed Forces as guest invitees.