Extension Of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana:
The Union Cabinet extended the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY) by another six months till September 2022.
- The scheme was originally introduced in April 2020 a month into the first lockdown during the initial onset of the COVID pandemic.
- This will be the sixth phase of PM-GKAY. The Phase-V of the scheme was to end in March 2022.
- The government has spent approximately ₹2.6 lakh crore so far and another ₹80,000 crore will be spent over the next six months till September 2022, taking the total expenditure under PM-GKAY to nearly ₹3.4 lakh crore.
- The ration card portability has also helped in extending the schemes to the migrant workers.
- The benefit of free ration can be availed through portability by any migrant labourer or beneficiary under One Nation One Ration Card plan from nearly five lakh ration shops across the country.
- So far, over 61 crore portability transactions have benefitted the beneficiaries away from their homes.”