Union Minister of State for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying has recently said that India stands third in the world in terms of fish production.
- India is the 3rd largest fish producing and 2nd largest aquaculture nation in the world after China.
- In the recent past, Indian fisheries has witnessed a shift from marine dominated fisheries to inland fisheries, with the latter emerging as a major contributor of fish production from 36% in the mid-1980 to 70% in the recent past.
Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY):
- The vision is to bring about Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of fisheries sector.
- The main motto of PMMSY is ‘Reform, Perform and Transform’in the fisheries sector.
- Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying is the implementing agency.
- The PMMSY is an umbrella scheme with two separate components – Central Sector Scheme and Centrally Sponsored Scheme.