Guidelines For Uplinking And Downlinking Of Television Channels In India, 2022:
The Ministry of Information & Broadcasting has issued guidelines and specified new uplinking and downloading rules.
- Earlier, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) had issued an advisory stating that any kind of broadcasting be done only through Prasar Bharti.
- Television channels will have to telecast content in the national interest or public service every day for 30 minutes.
- Nonetheless, these obligations will not be applicable for sports, wildlife, and foreign channels.
- The themes of national importance include,
- Education and spread of literacy
- Agriculture and rural development,
- Health and family welfare,
- Science and technology,
- Welfare of women
- Welfare of the weaker sections of society
- Protection of the environment and of cultural heritage and national integration.
- Requirement for seeking permission for live telecast of events has been done away with, only prior registration of events to be telecast live would be necessary,
- No requirement of prior permission for change of language or conversion of mode of transmission from Standard Definition (SD) to High Definition (HD) or vice versa, only prior intimation would be required.
- Companies would be allowed to uplink foreign channels from Indian teleports which would create employment opportunities and make India a Teleport-hub for other countries.
- Structure of the Guidelines has been systematized to avoid duplication and common parameters.
- The penalty clauses have been rationalized and separate nature of penalties have been proposed for different types of contraventions as against uniform penalty at present.