High-Power Ladakh Committee:
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) constituted a high-powered committee chaired by Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai for the Union Territory of Ladakh.
- Committee was formed After the unique status of the formerly-existing State of Jammu and Kashmir under Article 370 of the Constitution was read down by Parliament on August 5, 2019, civil society organisations in Ladakh have been calling for the protection of land, resources, and jobs for the previous three years.
- The committee will discuss measures
- to protect the region’s unique culture and language taking into consideration its geographical location and strategic importance;
- ensure protection of land and employment for the people of Ladakh;
- strategise inclusive development and discuss issues related to the empowerment of the Ladakh Autonomous Hill District Councils of Leh and Kargil.