Index Of Eight Core Industries (ICI):
Recent reports show that the combined Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) increased by 3.6 per cent (provisional) in March 2023 as compared to the Index of March 2022.
- ICI measures combined and individual performance of the production of eight core industries.
- These include Coal, Crude Oil, Natural Gas, Refinery Products, Fertilizers, Steel, Cement and Electricity.
- These Eight Core Industries comprise 40.27 per cent of the weight of items included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
- Details of annual and monthly indices is compiled and released by the Office of Economic Adviser (OEA), Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It provides an advance indication of the production performance of industries of a ‘core’ nature prior to the IIP