International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO):
India will start participating in the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s (ICAO) Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA).CORSIA is the first global market-based measure for any sector.
- The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) is a specialized funding agency of the United Nations.
- It changes the principles and techniques of international air navigation.
- It fosters the planning and development of international air transport to ensure safe and orderly growth.
- Its headquarters is located in the Quartier International of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- It has 193 Member States.
- India is one of ICAO’s founder members, having attended the Chicago Convention in 1944
- The ICAO Council adopts standards and recommended practices concerning air navigation, its infrastructure, flight inspection, prevention of unlawful interference, and facilitation of border-crossing procedures for international civil aviation.
- The Air Navigation Commission (ANC) is the technical body within ICAO.
- ICAO defines the protocols for air accident investigation that are followed by transport safety authorities in countries signatory to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.
- Convention on International Civil Aviation also known as the Chicago Convention, established the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a specialized agency of the UN charged with coordinating international air travel.
- The Convention establishes rules of airspace, aircraft registration and safety, security, and sustainability, and details the rights of the signatories in relation to air travel.
- The Convention also contains provisions pertaining to taxation.