Indian Swachhata League:
SBM-Urban 2.0’s maiden edition of ‘Indian Swachhata League’ has mobilized half a million youths and celebrities toward making cities clean, green, and garbage free.
- SBM-U 2.0, announced in Budget 2021-22, is the continuation of SBM-U’s first phase (launched from 2014 to 2019).
- The government is trying to tap safe containment, transportation, disposal of faecal sludge, and septage from toilets.
- It envisions to make all cities ‘Garbage Free’
- ensure grey and black water management in all cities other than those covered under AMRUT
- make all urban local bodies as ODF+
- make those with a population of less than 1 lakh as ODF++
- Timeline: over five years from 2021 to 2026
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA)