International Girl Child Day:
International Girl Child Day is celebrated on October 11.
- The International Day of the Girl Child aims to raise awareness about the importance and potential girls hold as the future of our society.
- It focuses attention on the need to address the challenges girls face and to promote girls’ empowerment and the fulfilment of their human rights.
- 2022 marks the 10th anniversary of International Day of the Girl Child.
- Theme: This year’s theme is “Our time is now—our rights, our future”.
- First time in history, the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action in 1995, proposed an action plan to advance the rights of girls.
- In 2011, the United Nations General Assembly passed resolution 66/170 and adopted October 11 as the International Day of the Girl Child.
- It was an annual day commemorated to honour girls. Every year, a new theme is to be picked to focus on the most prevalent issue of the year.
- International Day of the Girl Child was first observed in 2012.