Juno : Solar-Powered NASA Spacecraft
Juno is a solar-powered NASA spacecraft that makes long, looping orbits around giant planet Jupiter.
- Juno was launched on 5th August, 2011.
- The spacecraft traveled roughly 3 billion kilometers before arriving at Jupiter in 2016.
- Juno conducted its 53rd close flyby of Jupiter, capturing a remarkable image of Jupiter and its volcanic moon Io, on 31st July 31, 2023.
- Io is known for its intense volcanic activity, with hundreds of erupting volcanoes spewing molten lava and sulfurous gasses.
- It is slightly larger than Earth’s Moon, and is tidally locked to Jupiter and completes both its rotation on its axis and orbit around Jupiter in approximately 1.8 Earth days.