Lakhpati Didi Initiative:
Prime Minister recently chaired a high-level meeting to review the progress made in realising his dream of making 2 crore ‘Lakhpati Didis’ in India.
- Lakhpati Didi Initiative was announced by the Prime Minister in his Independence Day speech on August 15, 2023.
- Objective is to encourage women to start micro-enterprises within their villages.
- Under the Lakhpati Didi Initiative, the government aims to train two crore women.
- The programme is aimed at training women in self-help groups (SHGs) so that they can earn a sustainable income of at least Rs 1 lakh per annum per household.
- The initiative has been initiated by DAY-NRLM, wherein each SHG household is encouraged to take up multiple livelihood activities coupled with value chain interventions, resulting in a sustainable income of Rs 1 lakh or more per year.
- Under this scheme, women will be trained in various skills, such as plumbing, LED bulb making, drone operation and repair, and tailoring and weaving.
- After completing the training, women will be provided with opportunities to earn income using their skills.
- The ministry of rural development is adopting a whole-of-government approach for maximum impact through convergence to transform the rural economy with the enabling of ‘Lakhpati Didis’