Full Siege Of The Gaza Strip:
Israel recently ordered a full siege of the Gaza Strip and vowed to obliterate Hamas after its all-out offensive entered the next phase.
- Gaza Strip is a self-governing Palestinian territory located on the eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea.
- The territory takes its name from Gaza, its main city.
- It forms the smaller of the two Palestinian territories — the other being the West Bank.
- It is bordered by Israel to the north and east and Egypt to the south.
- It is a 41km (25-mile) long and 10km-wide territory.
- It is one of the most densely populated areas in the world. More than 2 million people live in the territory.
- The population is predominantly Palestinian, with the majority being Sunni Muslims.
- Hamas, a Palestinian Islamist organisation, currently governs the Gaza Strip.
- It took control in 2007 after it won elections there the year before. Since then, no elections have been held.