Atlantic Puffin : Hybrid Species Discovered
A hybrid species of Atlantic puffins that formed in the last century was recently discovered by scientists.
- Atlantic Puffin is a species of small seabird in the auk family.
- It’s the only puffin species found in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Scientific Name: Fratercula arctica
- It is found on rocky coasts in the Northern Atlantic Ocean during the breeding season and on the open ocean in the non-breeding season.
- It is a migratory species, spending most of the time traveling back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean, returning every breeding season to its native breeding areas.
- Sixty percent of the individuals inhabit the coast of Iceland during the breeding season.
- It has also been found off the coast of Greenland, the United Kingdom, Eastern Canada, and the Netherlands, as well as Ireland.