Leaders’ Summit On Climate:
The Leaders’ Summit on Climate was convened by the US President virtually.
- 40 world leaders, including the Prime Minister of India, were invited to the event to underscore the urgency of stronger climate action.
- This summit is seen as a key milestone on the road to the United Nations Climate Change Conference, Conference of the Parties 26 (COP 26) in November 2021 in Glasgow, Scotland.
India-US Clean Energy Agenda 2030 Partnership:
- It is a joint climate and cleans energy initiative of India with the US.
- It will demonstrate how the world can align swift climate action with inclusive and resilient economic development, taking into account national circumstances and sustainable development priorities.
- Mobilize investments, demonstrate clean technologies and enable green collaborations in India that could also create templates of sustainable development for other developing countries.
- Two Main Tracks of the Initiative:
- The Strategic Clean Energy Partnership.
- The Climate Action and Finance Mobilization Dialogue.
India’s Stand :
- India was already doing its part and that the country’s per capita carbon emissions are 60% lower than the global average.
- India’s ambitious renewable energy target of 450 GW by 2030.
- Despite its development challenges, India has taken many bold steps on clean energy, energy efficiency, afforestation, and biodiversity.
- India is among the few countries whose NDCs are 2°C compatible.
- Emphasized its encouragement of global initiatives such as the International Solar Alliance and the Coalition for Disaster Resilience Infrastructure.