Lithium Reserves : Jammu And Kashmir
The Geological Survey of India has found lithium reserves in Jammu and Kashmir. They have been found in the Reasi district.
- India is importing Lithium from countries from Argentina and Australia. In 2021 alone, the price of lithium increased by 400% for several reasons.
- One of them was an increase in digital growth and electric batteries during COVID.
- Most of the lithium reserves are concentrated in South America; especially in countries such as Argentina, Chile and Bolivia.
- These 3 countries are called the Lithium Triangle.
- However, they are not the top producers of lithium in the world! China produces 75% of the world’s lithium.
- Rather than production, China is doing the refining business.
- Lithium is highly important to produce rechargeable batteries.
- The requirement of Lithium is essential in electric vehicles, smartphones, laptops, digital cameras and every other electronic component we use today. They are the major storage blocks of electricity.