Major Economies Forum On Energy And Climate (MEF):
The Union Minister for Environment, Shri Bhupender Yadav, represented India at the virtual meeting of the Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (MEF), hosted by U.S. President Joseph Biden.
- The Major Economies Forum on Energy and Climate (MEF) was launched on March 28, 2009.
- The MEF meeting was aimed at galvanising actions that are to strengthen energy security and tackle the climate crisis thereby building momentum for COP27.
- The meeting was attended by twenty three major economies across the world and the Secretary General of United Nations.
Initiatives by India on climate change:
- Shri Bhupender Yadav emphasised that India’s initiatives go beyond its borders, including the International Solar Alliance, and the Coalition for Disaster Resilience Infrastructure.
- He mentioned that India has already installed 159 GW of non-fossil fuel based electricity generation capacity.
- And during the last 7.5 years, India’s installed solar energy capacity has increased over 18 times.
- Shri Yadav highlighted that India’s annual per capita emissions are only a third of the global average and its cumulative GHG emissions are less than 4 percent.
- He called upon the members of MEF to launch a global movement on LIFE i.e. Lifestyle for Environment as espoused by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at the COP26 in Glasgow.